Thursday, May 19, 2011

What if...?

Sometimes we drive just to think and other times we can’t sleep because the thoughts keep us up. It seems that we all do it at some time or another. It is the act of thinking about the past. Whether it is just asking what if I was somebody else or me thinking about certain “what ifs”. Is it simply thinking, remorse or is it all regret?
It is strange to think that often times, the thoughts we have of regret, are the ones that lead us to do something positive. There are people out there that think they are experts, or may be experts on this subject.  These folks would say the thought of wishing, or wondering, of what could have been is negative. After all, shouldn't we live for the moment or at least strive for a better future?  Imagine how successful we would be of only we strove for success, did our best each day and kept pushing forward. But, how can success of any kind, even short term, have any value? I mean, even the most successful people are successful because they don't want to feel the same way they did when they experienced a mistake. These people may be prime examples for being positive.  What led them to this was probably something negative. It was the result that seems positive. I for one can say that when I am unhappy is when I am either worrying about the things that may go wrong in a situation that hasn't happened yet. But, what makes me really unhappy is when I think maybe life could have been better. I will ponder the question, we all do, the one that at the time is leading to nowhere. But will eventually lead us to do something different, or for some, the same act, and eventually the same thought. Basically it is a cycle of cause and effect. I know this based on my own experience, and observations of others. I continually want to do better because I will compare myself to the most successful people my age. What separates us is fairly simple. Those that dwell on these kind of “what ifs” in life, and make no action from this thought and there are those that move forward after questioning a “what if”. It is up to you. Take from the past and don’t think “what if” for too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment